Things to remember!
If you meet a deaf person, remember to:
– Face the person while you are speaking, don’t turn away
– Speak clearly without shouting
– Repeat yourself if necessary
– Never say “It doesn’t matter”
– If the person doesn’t understand you, don’t give up!
– Write it down or draw a picture.
Deafness – some facts
– 1 in 6 people in the UK are deaf or hard of hearing
– More than 45,000 children in the UK are deaf
– About 2 million people in the UK have hearing aids
– Nearly 3.7 million people of working age have hearing loss, 135,000 oF them are severely or profoundly deaf
– Adults and children who are deaf or hard of hearing face communication barriers which can cause:
Lack of confidence, Exclusion from society, Isolation, Unemployment, Depression
If you’re deaf and want to find out what’s available in your area for you, email us The Youth Work Team at YouthWork@wakefield.gov.uk